Clinical IPL treatments already exist for 25 years and researches have not shown appearance of skin cancer or fertility issues. No serious side effects or damage from long-term use have been reported. Silk & Shine IPL technology is derived from the technology used in professional salons. We have adapted the technology for safe and effective use at home. As long as the Silk & Shine IPL Handset used in accordance with the user manual, you should not experience any adverse side effects.
To protect the skin, it is not suitable to use the Silk & Shine IPL Handset if you have any of the following:
- A known skin disorder
- A skin disease such as allergic dermatitis, eczema, etc.
- Are menstruating, pregnant or lactating
- Black or Sunburnt skin (please refer to the color chart)
- Black or fuscescens nevus
- Broken skin, a scab or healed wound, cancer or hemangioma
- Any artificial aesthetic, prosthetic or plastic area
You can feel a bit of heat but it is not painful. Most customers describe the feeling as repeatedly being snapped by a rubber band. However, the sensation varies from person to person, and from one treatment area to another. For your convenience, the device has five energy levels that can be set according to your own sensitivity and tolerance.
Pain can occasionally be experienced during or after treatment:
* If you have used Silk & Shine IPL Handset on unshaved skin
* If you use Silk & Shine IPL Handset at a light intensity that is too high for your skin colour
* If you flash the same area repeatedly
* If you use Silk & Shine IPL Handset on open wounds, inflammations, infections, tattoos, burns, etc.
If you start feeling burning pain or discomfort, adjust the level down or stop using the device.
Please check this list to make sure you are using the device correctly.
Possibilities for painful experience with the Silk & Shine IPL Handset:
- You have recently been exposed to the sun. We recommend staying out of strong sun exposure for 2 weeks before using our Handset.
- Your skin tone is darker than the recommended tones. Please check the skin tone chart on our website or in your user guide.
- You are using it at an intensity level that is too high for your skin. We always recommend starting with level 1 intensity to see how your skin reacts, after 2 sessions you can gradually increase the level each couple of sessions if you feel discomfort go back to a lower intensity.
- You have not shaved first. We always recommend shaving first because the Silk & Shine IPL Handset may burn long hairs and it won't be effective to target the hair root if the hair is too long.
- You are not lifting the Silk & Shine IPL Handset after each flash. Doing this could harm the device and yourself. We recommend slightly lifting the Handset after each flash to allow for cool air to cool down the quartz bulb.
- You applied a cooling gel, lotion or any other type of applicant before treatment. We don't recommend using any lotion or ointment before treatment, our device is meant to be used without one.
Silk & Shine IPL Handset is suitable for all but the darkest skin tones. This is because the light energy may be more attracted to the pigments in the skin rather than the melanin in the hair. Refer to the skin tone chart below to see whether or not the Silk & Shine IPL Handset is suitable for you.
IPL technology relies on melanin in the hair absorbing the light energy, and therefore IPL is not effective on very light blonde, red, or grey coloured hair. Refer to the hair colours chart below to see whether or not the Silk & Shine IPL Handset is suitable for you.
You can use your handset on your entire body, including your Brazilian and face. As the area around your eyes is very sensitive, we recommend to use the Silk & Shine IPL Handset only below the cheekbones in order to avoid the risk of eye damage.
Silk & Shine IPL Handset is safe and gentle enough to treat the entire bikini area. That being said, it may not be suitable for the genital area where the skin has a darker colour which would absorb more light energy and may cause discomfort. Always check the recommended skin-hair colour table and adapt the light intensity to a lower setting if appropriate to avoid skin reactions and side effects. To prevent discomfort we advise you to use a lower setting for darker and pigmented areas. For sensitive areas of the bikini area you can use a lower setting based on your comfort level. Never use the Silk & Shine IPL Handset on the inner labia, vagina or anus.
Silk & Shine IPL Handset is safe for use on the face below the cheekbones. It shouldn’t be used near the eyes and along the forehead. It works effectively on the upper lip, chin and jawline.
No, do not use the Silk & Shine IPL Handset directly on or close to big moles or freckles. If there is a mole in the area you want to treat try to flash around it, because the energy of the light will be absorbed by the pigment of the mole. Treating a mole or freckle directly can cause discomfort or even result in a burn.
You should not use the Silk & Shine IPL Handset over tattoos. The light energy will be more attracted to the pigments in the skin, rather than the melanin in the hair which can cause a reaction in the skin and blistering. You should always go around your tattoos.
If you have recently been sun tanning, we recommend waiting 48 hours before using your handset. Do not use Silk & Shine IPL Handset if you have sunburned skin and for as long as the sunburn persists. Be aware that all types of tanning darken the skin. Always check the recommended skin-hair colour table and adapt the light intensity to a lower setting if appropriate to avoid skin reactions and side effects. We advise removing all artificial tan before using our handsets, as the light energy may be more attracted to the pigments in the skin, rather than the melanin in the hair. You can reapply the tan after your session once the skin has relaxed.
You should wait 24 hours or until all redness has disappeared to tan after using your handset. When you go out into the sun in the 48 hours after treatment, we recommend using a high sunblock cream to help keep your skin healthy.
Although there is no evidence showing that IPL treatment has negative effects on pregnant or breastfeeding women, we still do not recommend using our handset as a precaution. However you can consult with your doctor if you would like a second opinion.
We suggest that teenagers wait until they have gone through puberty and their hormones have settled.
No, it is not necessary to wear eye protection while using our handset. Our handsets are fitted with a sensor and will not pulse and light unless the entire window is pressed against your skin. That being said you should never try and look directly into the light as it flashes.